Sunday, March 29, 2009

Congress needs grassroots leaders, not TV faces: Akhilesh

he SP is locked in a battle with the BSP for supremacy in Uttar Pradesh. Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav's son and two-term MP, Akhilesh Yadav, has been campaigning in the state for more than a month. Rustam Roy of Timesofindia.com caught up with Akhilesh on the campaign trail. Excerpts:

Q: Looking back at your first two terms in the Lok Sabha, what did you learn from them? Who inspired you the most in the Lok Sabha?

A: In politics you learn a lot. In the last two terms I had the responsibility of my party and the youth wing. I had to build the youth organization, so I couldn't devote much time in the Lok Sabha. I was mostly travelling around Uttar Pradesh, but still managed to raise questions in Parliament. This time I would devote more time in Parliament.

Q: What was your most memorable moment in Parliament?

A: Lots of things happen suddenly, just like during the nuclear deal trust vote. Many MPs spoke during the trust vote but Omar's speech stood out. I was in the House, I was in fact sitting just behind him and somebody from another party had managed to provoke him, so he gave a great speech. The words came from the heart for his country. It was a great speech. By the time my chance came, money was on the table and it all went haywire.

Q: Akhilesh, now several months later, the SP is at loggerheads with the Congress. You have almost moved towards a divorce.

Full Story

0 comments:

 

Blogroll

Site Info

Text

Latest Political News From India and SouthEast Asia Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template